The Senate Intelligence Committee released its final report on Russian election interference this week. This post will be solely about that. As you read, keep a few things in mind. This report comes from a Republican run committee. The Democrats attached their own points at the end, but I’m not covering those. Everything you’ll read here came from Republicans. And every single one of those Republicans voted not just to acquit the president earlier this year, but voted against hearing ANY witnesses regarding his actions. They knew everything you’re about to read. They knew how incredibly corrupt he is. They knew his campaign was working with a hostile foreign intelligence agency. They knew and they did absolutely nothing about it.
- The Republicans concluded that Donald Trump’s campaign manager, Paul Manafort, was “a grave counterintelligence threat” explicitly because he opened the campaign to Russian influence by handing over campaign data to Konstantin Kilimnik. No one from the Trump campaign has ever offered an explanation as to why they were sending internal data to a Russian intelligence agent.
- The Republicans concluded Kilimnik was involved in Russia’s hack of the DNC email system. Kilimnik was a key figure in the Mueller investigation as he previously worked with Paul Manfort in supporting Ukrainian dictator Viktor Yanukovych. (Yes, the president’s campaign manager did PR for a foreign dictator)
- The Republicans concluded that Michael Flynn lied to investigators about his conversations with Russian ambassador Kislyak. The Department of Justice is currently trying to get Flynn’s case dismissed after he pleaded guilty.
- The Republicans concluded that Donald Trump lied to investigators regarding conversations with Roger Stone regarding Wikileaks. The president said in writing he had never discussed Wikileaks with Stone. He did on multiple occasions and directed Stone to start working with Wikileaks to learn when information would be released.
- When the Trump campaign learned the Access Hollywood tape of the president bragging about grabbing women “by the pussy” was going to be released, Roger Stone immediately contacted an intermediary to ask Wikileaks to released the emails Russia had stolen from the DNC. Wikileaks complied and the emails were released half an hour after the Access Hollywood tape aired. The Trump campaign directed the timing of the release of data stolen by the Russian government.
- The Republicans concluded that the Trump administration hid information from both the investigators and from Congress via dubious claims of executive privilege.
We learned this week that last summer the Senate Intelligence Committee issued criminal referrals for Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, Steven Bannon, Erik Prince, and Sam Clovis. These were criminal referrals for lying to Congress issued by Republicans. It is unknown if the Department of Justice did anything with these referrals, but it’s not likely under Barr’s leadership.
Marco Rubio, Richard Burr, Jim Risch, Susan Collins, Roy Blunt, Tom Cotton, John Cornyn, and Ben Sasse all knew that Donald Trump’s campaign was sending information to a Russian intelligence agent. They knew that Trump lied to investigators. They knew the Trump campaign arranged for data stolen by Russian intelligence to be released at a time to help the Trump campaign. They knew multiple members of the Trump administration and campaign lied to Congress. They knew the Trump campaign was a dire intelligence risk. They knew all of these things and they chose to do nothing at all about them.